(First of all, I’m sorry for any grammar mistakes\ misspelling. English is not my first language and it’s been a while I don’t write in it)
This is no news, but lately it seems that there is more and more harassment on the tumblr community. Especially when it comes to replying to polemic posts, or even silly little mistakes.
I’ve seen tumblr users bullied away from this website because people couldn’t react in a civilized manner. From small stuff (I recall a user who thought a desert was mashed potatoes (?) and they received so many mocking messages, and got so embarrassed, they had to leave) to serious stuff (people with downright racist\homophobic\transphobic comments who didn’t know what they were saying, and for that received 200+ messages, death threats, got hacked, had their facebooks exposed, had information spread falsely, had friends and other people dragged down with them etc.)
tl;dt: sometimes people here are bullies. Just. Bullies.
And many hide under the ‘social justice’ excuse, even acting horribly themselves (very hypocrite of someone to say “be nice! Don’t slut shame!” then send “I hope you kill yourself you fucking cum thirsty whore”, for example. And yes, I’ve seen that happen on those exact words, and you probably saw it too)
So, I didn’t make this post to make a point, no. Y’all already know these things happen. I made this post to try and make this community a bit less stressful.
So, if you see a post that is offensive\contains wrong info\etc. follow these steps:
- Go to the source; see how long ago it was posted. (If it was posted two months ago, WHY BOTHER?)
- Check the blog, see if there are posted replies to asks, comments, posts, etc. on the subject, of people complaining\accusing\wtv. (If there are many posts like that, and you have nothing new to add, DONT send anything anymore. Don’t just be yet another person saying the exact same shit on their inbox)
- Sometimes the person who posted the offence apologized, sometimes they were uneducated on the subject\didn’t think about what they were saying or doing. YES THAT HAPPENS. PEOPLE ARE NOT TAUGHT MANY THINGS IN SCHOOL. Don’t be a jerk to people who don’t even know what they did wrong. Check for posts containing apologies.
- Ask yourself if it really matters. Sometimes, like the desert case i mentioned before, it’s just silly, no reason to be a high school bully rip-off.
- Do not send death threats, suicide shit, etc. Thats just. Thats horrible.
- Block, report, and send an email to tumblr staff if necessary. If the problem is legal, contact the police or whoever can deal with the situation (it’s really up to how things work in your country.
That’s all I can think of rn, if you have anything to add, feel free to. Anything, my inbox is open (just tell me if you want your ask posted or replied privately, and I’ll do so) I’m out for tonight, but I’ll see it tomorrow.
thanks for your time